Thursday, September 4, 2008

Vegetable Chowder


My tummy has been under-the-weather this week and everything I eat seems to make me feel bad. So as I was debating my lunch choices today, I thought:

"a bowl of simple soup is just what I need!"

So I reached for my More-with-Less Cookbook because I thought it would give me the best chance of a recipe with the ingredients I have on hand. And it delivered, as usual. This is a simple vegetable chowder that is easy to throw together for a warm, nourishing lunch.

1/2 cup rice, uncooked
3 chicken bouillon cubes
5 cups water
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced potatoes
1 minced onion
1/2 cup finely cut celery
1 cup canned tomatoes
2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Bring to a boil and simmer 45 minutes. Add when ready to serve:
1 cup milk
Heat almost to boiling and serve immediately.

No frills, just soupy comfort.


photo by peskymac

No comments: