Monday, June 25, 2007

Lentil and Brown Rice Soup

I don't usually associate soup with summer. But when my cupboards were seemingly bare and dinnertime was upon us, I stumbled upon this recipe which included all the things that I regularly keep on hand. It is delicious, freezes well, and very simple and hearty.

5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups lentils, rinsed
3 carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large celery stalk, chopped (1/2 cup)
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1/3 tsp. dried basil
1 cup long grain brown rice
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste

Bring all ingredients to a boil (except salt and pepper). Reduce heat; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45-55 minutes or until lentils and rice are tender. Remove bay leaf and discard. Add salt and pepper. Serves 8-10.

1 comment:

Wheelchair Mama said...

Because of this post, I've finally bought lentils!